6 Creepiest Unsolved Missing Persons Cases

6 Creepiest Unsolved Missing Persons Cases. 1. Harold Holt. On the gusty afternoon of December 17, 1967,
a group of five adults arrived at Cheviot Beach, near Portsea, Victoria, and strolled
along the Bass Strait beneath the warm Australian sun. Harold Holt was eager for a swim, and after
stepping behind a rock outcrop in the sand dunes, he emerged wearing a pair of blue swim
trunks. Marjorie Gillespie and her daughter, Vyner,
both in bikinis, turned to the water and noticed that the surf, at high tide, was higher than
they’d ever seen it. “I know this beach like the back of my hand,”
Holt replied, and walked into the surf without breaking his stride. Immediately, he began swimming away from the
beach. Martin Simpson, Vyner’s boyfriend, followed
but stopped when he was knee-deep in the surf. “There was a fairly strong undercurrent,”
he said, “so I just splashed around without going in too far.” The third man in the group, Alan Stewart,
told the others, “If Mr. Holt can take it, I had better go in too.” But he stopped quickly when he felt a tremendous
undertow swirling around his legs. He watched Holt swim out into what he considered
“dangerous turbulence.” Marjorie Gillespie had kept an eye on Holt
as he swam further away, drifting from them until the water seemed to boil around him
and he disappeared. Holt’s four companions climbed a rocky cliff
and searched the water for traces of him. Finding none, they began to panic. Stewart went for help, and within minutes,
three SCUBA divers were wading into the water. But the undertow was too strong even for them,
and the currents made the water turbid and difficult to see in. They retreated from the surf, climbed a rock
and scanned the water with binoculars until police and search-and-rescue teams arrived. Within an hour helicopters were hovering over
the coast, and divers, tethered by safety ropes, were stepping into the churning sea. By sundown, nearly 200 personnel had arrived,
including rescuers from Australia’s army, navy and coast guard, the Marine Board of
Victoria and the Department of Air. The largest search-and-rescue operation in
the nation’s history was all for naught. Australia was paralyzed by news of the unthinkable:
Prime Minister Harold Holt was gone at the age of 59. Two days later, Holt was officially declared
dead, and Country Party leader John McEwen was sworn in as prime minister. On December 22, a memorial service was held,
attended by dignitaries including U.S. President Lyndon Johnson, Prince Charles of Wales and
the presidents of South Vietnam and South Korea. But it did not take long for conspiracy theories
to take hold of Australia’s collective imagination. How could the country’s leader simply disappear
on the beach, in the company of just a few friends? Under the law, without a body, there could
be no official inquest into Holt’s disappearance. (It wasn’t until the Coroner’s Act was
signed into law in 1985 that the coroner’s office was required to investigated “suspected”
deaths in the absence of a body.) Despite an extensive report made by the Commonwealth
and Victoria Police, where eyewitness statements and search-and-rescue operations were recorded
in detail, there were those who refused to believe that Holt, a reputed strong swimmer,
had accidentally drowned. Just four years after the assassination of
U.S. President John F. Kennedy, the land down under had its own sweeping intrigue. Holt had spent more than three decades in
Parliament and married to his University of Melbourne sweetheart, Zara Kate Dickens, but
he had been prime minister less than two years when he disappeared. A few months after he had been sworn in, in
January 1966, he had his defining moment in office: in a speech in Washington, D.C, Holt
announced his support for the Vietnam War, declaring that Australia “will be all the
way with LBJ.” Later that year, Holt agreed to increase Australian
forces in Vietnam, and three quarters of a million people turned out to welcome President
Johnson in Melbourne. There were also many war protesters who tossed
paint at Johnson’s car and chanted, “LBJ, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?” Soon after Holt waded into the Bass Strait,
speculation centered on his mental state at the time—people wondered whether, despondent
over political pressures and the growing unpopularity with the Vietnam war, the prime minister committed
suicide. It was also widely believed that Holt had
been having an affair with Marjorie Gillespie. (That much was true; Zara Holt’s memoirs
confirmed that he had had a number of extramarital affairs, and years later Gillespie acknowledged
that she’d had a long relationship with him.) Rather than suicide, some suspected, Holt
had merely faked his death so he could run away with his mistress. Over the years, the theories would only become
more elaborate. Fifteen years after Holt’s death, Ronald
Titcombe, a former Australian naval officer, convinced the British novelist Anthony Grey
that the prime minister had been working as a spy for the Chinese government since the
early 1930s. Holt, Titcombe surmised, had been convinced
that the Australian Secret Intelligence Service was onto him; on the day he was last seen,
Holt simply swam out to sea and was picked up by a Chinese midget submarine. This theory was greeted with plenty of scoffing,
and Zara Holt dismissed it famously years later, saying, “Harry? Chinese submarine? He didn’t even like Chinese cooking.” The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency was not
immune from speculation. Holt might have been rethinking his commitment
to the Vietnam war, which was becoming increasingly unpopular in Australia; the CIA, this line
of thinking went, had gotten him before he had a chance to withdraw his support. That Holt’s death did not require a formal
inquiry only added fuel to the theorizing that there had been a coverup at the highest
reaches of the Australian government. It wasn’t until 2005 that the Victorian
coroner opened just such an inquiry into Holt’s disappearance. State Coroner Graeme Johnstone found that
Harold Holt had drowned at Cheviot Beach and that his body had been either swept out to
sea or taken by sharks. Cheviot Beach had long been perilous—countless
shipwrecks had been documented in the vicinity over centuries—and the area had been cordoned
off as a military zone. Holt had been given special permission to access the beach with
his friends in privacy. Though he was an experienced swimmer, he had
also been taking pain medications for a shoulder injury at the time, and just six months earlier
he had almost drowned at the same spot while snorkeling with friends. The coroner’s report did not halt the conspiracy
theories entirely, but it did provide support for a judgment first rendered by Lawrence
Newell, the police inspector who investigated the case in 1967 and concluded that the cause
of Holt’s death was quite simple—overconfidence and a dangerous rip current. “I think he went for a swim under conditions
where he was most unwise,” Newell said, “and that’s it.” 2. Megumi Yokota. For years, Japan saw kidnapping victim Megumi
Yokota only as an innocent child, a fresh-faced junior high badminton player in school uniform,
black hair framing her cheeks. Now for the first time, photographs are on
display of Yokota’s life after her 1977 abduction by North Korean spies, as she grew
from a teenager into an adult imprisoned behind the reclusive regime’s wall of secrecy. Three images of Yokota provided by North Korea
— one as a sad-eyed teenager and two as a young woman — dominated front pages and
talk shows this week, intensifying Japanese anguish and outrage over her abduction. “We couldn’t help crying when we saw the
picture showing her worrying face looking directly at the camera,” Megumi’s mother,
Sakie Yokota, tearfully told reporters. “I don’t know whom she wanted to appeal
to … after being kidnapped in suffering and tears.” One of 13 who disappeared. Megumi Yokota is among 13 Japanese citizens
North Korea has admitted kidnapping in the 1970s and 80s. Five were allowed to return to Japan in 2002,
but North Korea has claimed — so far unconvincingly — that the others, including Yokota, are
dead. Her age at the time of her kidnapping — 13
— and the tireless efforts of her parents have turned Megumi Yokota into a symbol of
Japanese indignation over the kidnappings and a poster child for the campaign by abductees’
families to win a full investigation into the fates of the victims. The families have called for sanctions against
North Korea. But Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, under
questioning in a Parliament hearing, said he wants to keep the North Koreans engaged
in hopes of making progress. “There is still room for negotiations,”
he insisted Wednesday. “We should make the effort, even if we can
take only one or two steps ahead at a time.” While the latest negotiations in the North
Korean capital, Pyongyang, have not yielded what the Japanese hoped for, they did promise
to shed faint light on Yokota’s case. North produces apparent husband and daughter. The Japanese negotiators who returned from
North Korea on Monday met with Kim Chol Jun and Kim Hea Kyong, identified by Pyongyang
as Yokota’s husband and daughter. The negotiators also visited a hospital that
supposedly treated Yokota and were given lengthy health records. In a heartbreaking turn, Kim Chol Jun handed
over an urn containing what the North says are Yokota’s remains. Pyongyang claims she committed suicide in
1994; DNA identification is expected next week. But with North Korea’s history of deception
— bones it claimed in 2002 belonged to another abductee, for example, turned out to be someone
else’s — speculation has gone into overdrive about whether Yokota was being kept in the
country ruled by Kim Jong Il. After years of mystery, the new photos are
tantalizing. In the earlier picture, Yokota looks forlornly
into the camera, wearing what experts say is a typical North Korean school uniform. In another, she poses, smiling slightly, well-dressed
and apparently well-fed. The third photograph shows her standing next
to a black car, with snowdrifts behind her. “Looking at these calmly, the pictures show
her in neat clothing and wearing makeup,” observed her father, Shigeru Yokota. “I feel she possibly lived a relatively
happy life.” Analyzing the strange tale
Talk show panelists examined the photos in excruciating detail Wednesday, bringing out
a drama professor who scrutinized Yokota’s expressions for clues to her emotional state
and an auto expert who identified the car as a Mercedes. Media accounts have focused on inconsistencies
in North Korean accounts of Yokota’s death: changing dates, alleged contradictions in
hospital records and suspicions that, as an attractive young woman, she was associated
too closely with North Korea’s elite to be allowed to leave. “I imagine she had been very close to Kim
Jong Il. I hear people say she had been his teacher
and so on,” said Kaneko Tomiyama, a 51-year-old Tokyo woman. “I think she was not allowed to return to
Japan because she knew too much about the North.” The man identified as her husband also reportedly
refused to provide hair and blood samples that would prove he fathered the girl identified
as their daughter. Her family is still clinging to hope she is
alive. “I know that everything in that country
is a lie,” Yokota’s mother said. “I’m praying that the DNA tests on the
remains will show they are not Megumi’s.” 3. The Springfield Three. On June 7, 1992, Stacy McCall, Suzanne ‘Suzie’
Streeter, and Suzie’s mother Sherrill Levitt vanished from Levitt’s home in an area of
the 1700 block of E. Delmar Street in Springfield, Missouri. The three women’s disappearances have haunted
the families and remained a mystery for two decades. Sherrill Williams-Levitt would have turned
47 years old on November 1, following her disappearance. Her daughter, Suzie had just turned 19 years
old on March 9, prior to her disappearance. Stacy McCall had just turned 18 on April 23,
1992. All have been missing 25 years. Best Friends Missing. Stacy and Suzie had just graduated from Kickapoo
High School on Saturday, June 6, 1992. The two young women had been at a graduation
party at another friend’s home at approximately 2:00am on June 7. Initially the pair had planned to spend the
night at a hotel, then at a friend’s home in Battlefield but left because the house
was crowded with out of town guests. They departed in their own separate vehicles
and headed to Suzie’s home to spend the night with her mother Sherrill. It is believed the two young women arrived
at Sherrill’s home at approximately 2:15am and had planned to go to White Water Amusement
Park the following afternoon. After Suzie and Stacy arrived at the residence,
the trail follows twists and turns into darkness of the unknown. The last contact Sherrill had with anyone
was at approximately 11:15pm on the evening of June 6, 1992, when she had talked to a
friend about refinishing and painting a dresser. Sherrill had been a single mother, described
as being very close to her daughter and a successful hairdresser at a local salon. The following afternoon, friends went to Sherrill’s
home to meet Suzie and Stacy as planned, then head to the amusement park but no one answered
the door. The friends observed the women’s vehicles
parked in the driveway and noticed the porch light still illuminated but the glass globe
covering the bulb had been broken and there was shattered glass on the front porch. The friends cleaned up the glass on the porch
and proceeded to enter the home through the unlocked front door, not realizing they were
entering a crime scene. Confusion sets in. At first, friends thought maybe the women
had gone for a walk. Later that day when the three women failed
to arrive back at the home, a friend called Stacy’s mother, Janis McCall. Janis had not known Stacy had spent the night
at Suzie’s home thinking she would be staying in Battlefield overnight. Stacy had last talked to her mother the night
before when she called at about 10:30pm on June 6, informing Janis she would be staying
in Battlefield. After receiving the call from one of the girl’s
friends that had been to the home, Stacy’s mother went to Sherrill’s home and later
called police to report the three missing. When investigators arrived, they did not observe
any sign of foul play or a struggle within the home. In fact, all of the women’s personal belongings
including keys, makeup, purses, and clothing, were still inside the residence. The family dog, a Yorkie named Cinnamon, was
anxiously running around inside the home and police noted the blinds inside the home were
apart as if someone had been peeking through looking outside during the night. It appeared Sherrill had been in bed watching
television, her glasses, and book on the nightstand, and cigarettes along with her lighter still
in the home. Aside from the shattered globe on the porch,
the glass discarded before it was determined it could have been a key piece of evidence,
no additional evidence was found at the home that indicated foul play. Several searches of the surrounding area turned
up nothing. It seemed like the three women had simply
vaporized. Following the women’s disappearances, police
followed up on leads, interviewed individuals who had attended the party the previous evening,
as well as relatives, friends, even boyfriends. One witness reported seeing a green Dodge
van in the area but police were unable to identify the vehicle or owner. Several callers provided tips indicating the
women may be buried at a local hospital parking structure prior to a concrete pour. Even Suzie’s older brother, Bart Streeter,
has remained on the list of suspects. The story appeared on several national TV
shows including Unsolved Mysteries, 48 Hours and America’s Most Wanted (AMW). A male tipster called into AMW on New Year’s
Eve in 1993 but disconnected when the operator attempted to patch the call through to Springfield
Police Department. Investigators believe the individual had intimate
knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the three women’s disappearance. Mother’s nightmare continues for decades. Stacy’s mother, Janis McCall has never given
up hope she will find her daughter alive. Like other parents who search for their missing
child, giving up hope is not an option. Following her daughter’s disappearance,
Janis founded One Missing Link, a nonprofit organization that helps other families search
for their missing loved ones. Recalling the last time she saw her daughter,
Janis said, “The last thing I said to Stacy was that I love her, thank goodness!” Janis said Stacy said she loved them and promised
to call later. After the graduation they had taken pictures
and had asked Stacy if she wanted to eat her graduation cake but Stacy declined and said,
“Don’t cut it until I get back tomorrow!” When a loved one is missing, family members
suffer incredible turmoil in the aftermath of the disappearance. They replay the last time they saw their loved
one, what they could have said, what they should have said. Is their loved one suffering? Are they injured and in a hospital? Is someone keeping them? Do they need rescue? The mind takes on a life of its own constantly
revisiting their last minutes of contact. Experts agree ambiguous loss is the most traumatic
psychological experience a person can endure while existing in what seems a never-ending
life of limbo. In the meantime, this incredibly courageous
mother with the strength of an entire lion pride continues searching for her beloved
daughter. To Janis, if there is even a small chance
her daughter Stacy McCall, Suzie Streeter and Sherrill Levitt are still alive, giving
up is never an option. Janis told Discovery ID, “If there is one
tenth, one hundredth of one percent of a chance I can find her – I want that – I want to
find her. I want her to know how very much she means
to us.” One can look into this mother’s eyes and
never fully comprehend what the last twenty years has been like. When I asked Janis if there was anything she
wished she would have said to Stacy the last night she saw her, Janis says, “I wish I
had told her she couldn’t go anywhere that night but that is a little unrealistic. If I had only known what I know now.” 4. Robyn Gardner. These are the last photographs of missing
Maryland woman Robyn Gardner taken hours before she went missing from Aruba, allegedly after
going snorkelling with the man who is suspected of killing her after reading a text she sent
to her boyfriend telling him she loved him. Aruba prosecutors released the photographs
on Wednesday to help aid potential witnesses on the Dutch Caribbean island and detained
Gary Giordano, 50, for another day. Previously released pictures yielded ‘little
results’, according to officials. Two pictures of Robyn wearing her favourite
dress were taken as she left a restaurant on the afternoon she went missing. In one photo, Giordano’s back is also visible
as they depart the Rum Reef Restaurant. Prosecutors also released a photo of the white
Toyota Rav 4 that the two rented on the island. Meanwhile, it has been reported that police
believe the 50-year-old businessman killed the 35-year-old dental assistant after becoming
jealous when he read a message she sent to her boyfriend back home saying: ‘I love you.’ The sudden moment of anger is said to have
spoiled a pre-meditated plan he had made to murder Robyn and dump her body at sea in an
attempt to cover his tracks, according to the National Enquirer. It is thought that Giordano was trying to
collect a $1.5million accidental death policy but slipped up, leading to his arrest. Sources said police are considering the theory
that the suspect was obsessed with the 2005 death of Natalee Holloway, a teenager from
Alabama, and the subsequent failure of police to convict Joran van der Sloot of killing
her. ‘Cops think Giordano believed that Joran dumped
Natalee’s body at sea, and he was planning to do the same thing,’ a source said. Robyn, who met Giordano online, is not thought
to have had a physical relationship with him. She was dating another man, Richard Forrester,
at the time but travelled with Giordano, 50, to Aruba after the relationship was said to
have hit some stumbling blocks. Police are said to believe that on the day
of her disappearance, Robyn sent a text to her boyfriend, which read: ‘I love you. I care about you. We’ll sort this out when I get back.’ ‘Police believe that Giordano, who by now
was fantasising that Robyn was in love with him, saw the messages on her iPad and went
berserk with jealousy,’ a source told the Enquirer. ‘He became furious because he’d paid for their
trip and she was sending romantic texts to another guy.’ After eating lunch, the two were spotted by
a fisherman walking around a reef behind the restaurant before getting into a car. ‘Police believe Giordano drove Robyn to a
nearby area called Seroe Colorado, and either strangled, beat her or tortured her to death
after he dragged her into one of 50 abandoned shacks that used to house workers from a once-bustling
oil refinery,’ the source added. Later in the afternoon, Giordano returned
to the restaurant where they ate lunch and reported her missing, saying they had just
been snorkelling. The fresh allegations come as an employee
at the restaurant said he thought it odd that Robyn would have been going snorkelling that
day due to the clothes she was wearing and the way her hair and makeup were done. Other eye witnesses said she seemed woozy
and did not touch her salad when she ate in the Rum Reef Bar and Grill with the man suspected
of killing her. A picture of the 35-year-old obtained by ABC
shows her leaving the restaurant in ‘her favourite dress’, according to her family. The time the picture was taken was 4.12pm,
less than two hours before Giordano, 50, reported her missing. The picture has emerged at the same time a
close friend of Robyn said that she did not just pack up and go to Aruba with a man she
barely knew but she had actually known him for years after meeting him on dating website
Match.com. Lianne Delawter said: ‘Their relationship
spanned back a long way, they’d known each for a couple of years. They met on Match.com and went out a “date”
but it didn’t work out and they stayed friends. ‘It wasn’t a date-date, they were never seeing
each other,’ she told Radar Online. It was initially believed that the pair recently
met on an internet site and that Giordano paid the pretty blonde to go away with him. Miss Delawter added: ‘She wasn’t the type
of girl to go away with someone she didn’t know at all. She was very trusting and always saw the good
in someone, saw light where there was darkness, but she wasn’t naive. They were just going as friends.’ She also revealed that Robyn lied to her live-in
boyfriend Richard Forester about where she was going, telling him she was off on a family
vacation to Orlando rather than Aruba. Her roommate claimed that the businessman
invited her on a cruise earlier this year and became ‘very angry’ when Robyn cancelled
on him, according to Radar. She said she was worried when she heard her
Robyn had agreed to go away with him and has ‘no doubt’ Giordano is involved in her disappearance. As the 50-year-old is held for another day,
his story regarding what happened the day Robyn disappeared is being cast into doubt
as another witness said he saw the pair walking along the jetty when they were supposed to
be snorkelling. He claims they then drove off in a white rental
car shortly after 4pm. The fisherman claims the pair never went into
the ocean and that after they drove off, he did not see them for the rest of the day. The new evidence came as another woman said
that Giordano had told her that he could make her ‘disappear’ without a trace after she
rejected his proposal to take her teen model daughter to Aruba. Giordano allegedly telephoned Carrie Emerson
claiming to be a producer in late July after seeing pictures of her daughter on the Internet
and told her that he wanted to take her 18-year-old daughter to the island for a swimwear photo
shoot. ‘He made the offer sound so wonderful that
anyone needing the money or the modelling job would have gone,’ she told Fox News. ‘Thankfully it was me who answered the phone
and not my daughter. ‘During the conversation, he told me that
he could make me disappear and no one would ever look for me.’ Also speaking on Fox News, the Aruba Solicitor
General Taco Stein last night denied reports that a blood handprint had been found on a
rock near where Giordano was last seen with Ms Gardner. ‘The detail about the hand print and blood
is not true,’ he said. ‘That is not something that we have found,’
adding, ‘Let me put that to rest as that only hinders the investigation.’ Meanwhile, graphic, disturbing and ‘beyond
pornographic’ images are believed to have been found on Giordano’s camera of Ms Gardner,
calling into question the relationship between the pair, who were at first believed to simply
be travelling companions. Giordano’s camera, as well as his laptop and
cell phone, have been sent away for analysis. Solicitor general of Aruba Taco Stein – who
called the 50-year-old a ‘mean b******’ – could not confirm the nature of the images to the
Today Show but would only say it did not look like she was under any duress. Meanwhile it emerged that the Maryland businessman
tried to collect the $1.5million accidental death policy he took out on her just two days
after he reported her disappearance to police. Giordano, who purchased the accidental policy
shortly before travelling to the Dutch Caribbean island with the 35-year-old, tried to begin
redeeming the American Express policy, which he took out just days before their trip and
unusually only covered the trip to Aruba. According to a police source, Giordano purchased
a more expensive one-year policy instead of a more commonly purchased five year policy. Giordano – a twice divorced father-of-three
– is still fighting the accusations and is being held in an Aruban prison. He still denies anything to do with Robyn’s
disappearance and claims she vanished while they were out snorkelling. Police are looking at a rock which is said
to have a full hand print and blood on it that was found behind a restaurant that the
pair were said to have dined in before her disappearance. On Monday Giordano was ordered to remain in
an Aruban jail for another 16 days while police investigate ‘serious inconsistencies’ in his
account of events. The American Express accidental policy is
currently being investigated by the FBI. Court documents show the 50-year-old has a
history of domestic violence, has not been charged but remains the only suspect in the
case. His attorney has said he had nothing to do
with her disappearance and has called for his release from jail. Officers having been tracing the movements
of Giordano in the hours before Ms Gardner’s disappearance, but said they have had trouble
identifying him in surveillance video because he frequently changes his toupees. Video shows the pair at the Rum Beef Bar & Grill
in the Baby Beach area of the island where Ms Gardner went missing. Restaurant staff have told investigators that
the woman seemed woozy while they ate. Surveillance footage also shows Giordano in
his rental car at the back of the restaurant, but the car had tinted windows so no one else
in the vehicle can be seen. Police said that they found blood on a rock
behind the dive shop at the restaurant. 5. Percy Fawcett. Since Europeans first arrived in the New World,
there have been stories of a legendary jungle city of gold, sometimes referred to as El
Dorado. Spanish Conquistador, Francisco de Orellana
was the first to venture along the Rio Negro in search of this fabled city. In 1925, at the age of 58, explorer Percy
Fawcett headed into the jungles of Brazil to find a mysterious lost city he called “Z”. He and his team would vanish without a trace
and the story would turn out be one of the biggest news stories of his day. Despite countless rescue missions, Fawcett
was never found. Was he killed by Amazonian tribesmen? And is there any factual basis for his Lost
City of Z? Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett was born in
England in 1867 and was a famous British explorer who’s legendary adventures captivated the
world. An officer in the Army and trained surveyor,
Fawcett was the last of the great territorial explorers; men who ventured into blank spots
on the map with little more than a machete and a compass. For years he would survive without contact
in the wilderness, and befriend tribes who had never before seen a white man. His exploits in the Amazon inspired books
and Hollywood movies; Indiana Jones is purportedly based on Fawcett. The Amazon wilderness is about the size of
the continental United States and during Fawcett’s time, it remained one of the last unexplored
regions on the map. In 1906, the Royal Geographical Society, a
British organization that sponsors scientific expeditions, invited Fawcett to survey part
of the frontier between Brazil and Bolivia. He spent 18 months in the Mato Grosso area
and it was during his various expeditions that Fawcett became obsessed with the idea
of lost civilizations in this area. Fawcett describes the city of Z.
Fawcett formulated theories of a city he called ‘Z’ in 1912. His conviction was fueled in part by the rediscovery
of the lost Inca city of Machu Picchu, in 1911, hidden away in Peru’s Andes Mountains. During his travels, Fawcett also heard rumors
of a secret city buried in the jungles of Chile that was said to have streets paved
in silver and roofs made of gold. Of Z itself, Fawcett had a specific idea of
what the city looked like. In a letter to his son Brian, Fawcett wrote:
I expect the ruins to be monolithic in character, more ancient than the oldest Egyptian discoveries. Judging by inscriptions found in many parts
of Brazil, the inhabitants used an alphabetical writing allied to many ancient European and
Asian scripts. There are rumors, too, of a strange source
of light in the buildings, a phenomenon that filled with terror the Indians who claimed
to have seen it. The central place I call “Z” — our main
objective — is in a valley surmounted by lofty mountains. The valley is about ten miles wide, and the
city is on an eminence in the middle of it, approached by a barreled roadway of stone. The houses are low and windowless, and there
is a pyramidal temple. The inhabitants of the place are fairly numerous,
they keep domestic animals, and they have well-developed mines in the surrounding hills. Not far away is a second town, but the people
living in it are of an inferior order to those of “Z.” Farther to the south is another large city,
half buried and completely destroyed. Manuscript 512
In 1920, Fawcett came across a document in the National Library of Rio De Janeiro called
Manuscript 512. It was written by a Portuguese explorer in
1753, who claimed to have found a walled city deep in the Mato Grosso region of the Amazon
rainforest, reminiscent of ancient Greece. The manuscript described a lost, silver laden
city with multi-storied buildings, soaring stone arches, wide streets leading down towards
a lake on which the explorer had seen two white Indians in a canoe. On the sides of a building were carved letters
that seemed to resemble Greek or an early European alphabet. These claims were dismissed by archaeologists
who believed the jungles could not hold such large cities, but for Fawcett, it all came
together. 6. Maura Murray It was a cold February day in 2004 when UMass
Amherst student Maura Murray took a spontaneous trip toward the White Mountains. She told no one where she was going when she
emptied her bank account, packed up her things, and hit the road. Just as quickly as her road trip started,
it abruptly came to an end that evening when Murray crashed her car on a rural New Hampshire
street. She has never been seen again. Murray’s car was found abandoned on February
9, 2004 in Haverhill, New Hampshire by State Police responding to a call by a concerned
bus driver. The bus driver came upon the crash, and a
seemingly uninjured Murray told him she had called AAA (even though she hadn’t) and
didn’t need his help. The driver left the accident and alerted police
when he got home. When police arrived to the scene minutes later,
they found the wrecked vehicle—but no sign of the driver. The car’s windshield was cracked, the airbags
were deployed, the doors were locked, and a box of wine was spilled across the car seat. All of Murray’s belongings—except for
her debit cards and cell phone—were in the vehicle, and a rag was stuffed inside of the
tailpipe. The peculiar scene conjured up many questions. What happened, and why? And where was Murray? Twelve years later, authorities still haven’t
been able to answer those questions. BEFORE THE ACCIDENT. Murray’s disappearance has captivated many
across the web, spawning endless discussion on her life and what could have happened to
her. Did the young woman walk off into the woods
and freeze to death? Or, did her bad luck continue that night and
lead her into the car of a killer? In order to find answers, Internet detectives
have analyzed the 21-year-old’s personal life. In the months before the accident, Murray
was arrested for credit card fraud. She was on probation for the incident when
she disappeared, and she also experienced an emotional breakdown while at work days
before. Two days before the accident, Murray’s father,
Fred, visited her on campus. The two shopped around for used cars together,
before Murray borrowed her father’s car to party with friends. Later that evening, an inebriated Murray decided
to return the car to her father and got into an accident. Murray managed to escape being arrested by
police, but the event upset her. Her father said Murray felt as though she
let him down. Fred left Amherst on February 8. He spoke with his daughter around 11:30pm
on the phone that night to arrange to fix his car on the following Monday. As it turned out, his wrecked car would be
the least of his worries. THE ACCIDENT AND DISAPPEARANCE. On the day of her disappearance, Murray emailed
her professors and told them she was taking a week off of school for a family emergency. In actuality, there was no family emergency. As well as the emails, she searched for directions
to the Berkshires in Burlington, Vermont. She also researched condos in the New Hampshire
area. A resident heard Murray crash outside her
house at 7pm, and reported the accident by 7:30pm. The bus driver reported the accident around
7:43pm, and the police arrived at 7:46pm. When she couldn’t be found that night, the
authorities placed a B.O.L.O. (Be on the lookout) for Murray the following
day. Her family and boyfriend arrived in Haverhill
on February 11, and a search was done by New Hampshire Fish and Game — two days after
her disappearance. The search yielded no evidence or sign of
Murray. THE INVESTIGATION. As a part of the investigation, Murray’s
family and boyfriend were interviewed by police. Her boyfriend, Billy, told them he received
a voicemail (that has since been deleted) on the night of the accident that sounded
like Murray crying. Police were not able to determine if the call
was actually from Murray. At the initial time of her disappearance,
police explored multiple scenarios as to what happened to the nursing student. One possibility was that she had committed
suicide, but police concluded it was unlikely based on information family had given to them
about Murray’s state of mind at the time. She was doing well in school, and didn’t
have anything truly disrupting her life—that they knew of. Authorities also entertained the idea that
Murray walked away from the scene, was picked up by a passerby, dropped off at a bus station
and fled the area. Along with that idea, another theory speculated
Murray was intoxicated when she crashed and she wanted to avoid getting into trouble. Police explained the theory in a Boston newspaper,
“Second unlikeliest is that, intoxicated, she ventured into the woods and was overcome
by the elements. But dogs couldn’t trace her scent, there
were no footprints in the fresh snow, and helicopters equipped with heat-seeking devices
were no help.” The case grew even more strange when another
young woman went missing a month later. Brianna Maitland’s car was found crashed
and abandoned outside a Vermont farmhouse, 100 miles away from the scene of Murray’s
crash. Like Murray, Maitland has never been found. The eerie similarities between the cases prompted
some to believe there was a connection between the two; however, police have never confirmed
the cases are related. What seemed like a possible lead in Murray’s
case turned into nothing. It was almost as if Murray vanished into thin
air. With no trace of the missing woman, the case
went cold. LEADS IN THE CASE. With the widespread attention of Renner’s
blog — and Murray’s case — came new tips and leads. On the 8th anniversary of Murray’s disappearance,
videos were uploaded to YouTube from a man who claimed to know information about her
whereabouts. In one video, titled HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, user
112dirtbag is just laughing maniacally into the camera for a full minute as his one tooth
glistens against the glare of the screen. At the end of his taunting laughter, the mystery
man winks at the camera. In another post, the creep shows pictures
of a map to a nearby ski lodge, suggesting it’s the location of Murray’s body. However, upon further investigation it was
determined to be a false lead. And while the videos are unsettling, the man
has been written off as a mentally unstable person obsessed with the case. In company with haunting videos claiming to
know what happened to Murray, various sightings have been reported over the years. The most recent sighting came near the 12th
anniversary of her disappearance. In February 2016, a flight attendant reported
seeing Murray in Quebec. She recorded a video of the sighting, and
police are reportedly examining it. MAURA IS STILL MISSING. Despite the National attention, and endless
online debate the case has received, investigators haven’t come any closer to finding Maura
Murray. Many online believe the troubled young woman
did walk off into the woods, and her bones are burrowed in the dirt, waiting to be rescued
from their makeshift grave. Murray’s father believes his daughter was
abducted that night, and doesn’t want to give up hope in finding her. As a family grieves the loss of their little
girl, and tries to overcome the dread of not knowing what happened to her, the rest of
the world goes on. We don’t know what happened that night,
and we can’t assume to know what she was thinking or let her past mistakes determine
her fate. Maura Murray crashed her car on February 9,
2004, and she needs to be found. All we can do now is hope that she’ll be
brought home.

44 comments on “6 Creepiest Unsolved Missing Persons Cases”

  1. César Rabbit says:

    Regarding the first one, he, sadly just drowned.

  2. Steve Bannon says:

    You can't narrate a story with the computer voice.

  3. night cat says:

    Maura, fearful of a DUI, walked into the woods to sit.  She was drinking & taking drugs.  She became cold & disorientated, stumbled into the icy river.

  4. Monica I. says:

    The voice of the narrator sounds like…on drugs??!! 👎🏿

  5. samantha osborne says:

    how do you spell the second person

  6. randy ames says:

    The electronic voice is terrible

  7. vv183 says:

    First off the electronic voice is irritating and hard to get past…all of yr vids have good content but are always too long and filled with unnecessary info, quotes, redundancies or just unneeded observations. The lengthy narration makes it hard to get into, let alone listen all the way thru. Maybe stick with only the clear, concise, necessary bits and get a human reader

  8. Mike Hunt says:

    O M G! The electronic voice made me actually cringe while listening to the 4th story.. holy fuck, man! If every story was like that one I'd have to boycott this channel

  9. Ma Ca says:

    omg there is no mystery about the loss of the prime minister. Everybody knows that the CIA has Whirler Technology. when they target someone and wants that someone to disappear or die they watch for when they are going for a swim. the CIA sends out Quorum and they dive in and place the Whirler. when the target dives in they get dragged away.

  10. Ma Ca says:

    yall better quit complaints about the electronic voice. soon and very soon that's the voice you'll all hear all the time everywhere. when the Machines reveal themselves and confirm they rule the world this sexy electronic voice will become the norm…

  11. Stacey Walker says:

    I love all these stories, but the voice is hard to understand alot of times. Is it that you don't speak very good english, speak another language or are you just lazy or don't like your voice?? You would have soooo many more subs if the robot voice was changed……cuz stories are original.

  12. moskii 1958 says:

    I hate all these computer generated narrative voices..

  13. rodster6 says:

    Why can't you have someone narrate these videos normally? The electronic voice ruins it.

  14. Dan Weary says:

    Please find another way of narration. The robotic voice you are using is horrible.

  15. Cadaver Cat says:

    The only reason to use a robot voice is if it sounds better than your real voice. If that's the case, I feel really bad for this YouTuber.

  16. wwvette says:



  17. Deanna Glory says:

    My gosh, hire a teenager to read the script!!

  18. Xeokym says:

    OMG the voice… I can't take it! It seriously started driving me bonkers, I had to turn it off halfway through. It's MONOTONOUS! And so many mispronunciations, holy shit. Hire a human narrator.

  19. Zoey Rochelle Zhombie says:

    Dear god you ramble. How many times did you state the age of the guy in Aruba or the bloody handprint?! Adding unnecessary content doesn't make it more interesting. It's annoying.

  20. Edward Weber says:


  21. Jeffrey Riley says:

    Is a computer narrating this?

  22. Elena Cruz says:

    The girl at thumbnail looks like like like……..BIANCA from henry danger!

  23. Peter Gozinya says:

    You will never get subs with this poor quality. Try using your own voice, cause your robot sucks!

  24. Steve Fratus says:

    I'll read the scripts for you. Hell, I'll proofread them too! I will read them in my own voice. Send me the scripts and I'll read and record for you. I'm good. The robot voice is losing you viewers. Seriously.

  25. john plaid says:

    The mechanical voice is par for the course when narrating the conveyor belt like commision of homicide.

  26. nicknameidono says:

    The voice is just horrible! sorry but i can´t watch this…

  27. katzyjen says:

    can't watch/listen because electronic voice is so terrible

  28. greenhills actual says:

    hate the android voice, unwatchable!

  29. Sarah Hurley-lowe says:

    You seriously need to change the electronic voice. It's not easy to listen to and it's extremely annoying to say the least 🙄

  30. Claire Jolicoeur says:

    The stories are good, but the voice is horrible. I tought it was me who had a problem with it (I'm french), but obviously, everybody has a hard time with this awfull voice. Please, do something about it!

  31. JB Robertson says:

    Get rid of that fuckin electronic voice I am not subscribing till it is gone

  32. whateverchannel22 says:

    Robo-voice….piss off.

  33. iLLBiLLsRoastBeats says:

    The instant you quoted the ‘National Enquirer’ was the same instant you lost all credibility

  34. kiros13 says:

    Thumbs down for robot voice

  35. Black Dot says:

    If you don't like the voice, turn on CC and mute the video. It works for me.

  36. Leon Watts says:

    D dot C why use the robotic voice it has ruined a good documentary.

  37. darn tootin says:

    Stop using the robo voices. Can't listen to it. 🙁

  38. susi q says:

    Drop the robot voice and I might watch.

  39. sara scholey says:

    Prince Charles is the prince OF Wales, he’s not from Wales.

  40. 56beverley says:

    The flowing afternoon? That's a new one on me.

  41. 56beverley says:

    I lurve you after I reeed a text you sent!

  42. tha Real Mike Zee says:

    Australia has a…"Department Of Air"? Somewhere around 1:30

  43. 56beverley says:

    The flowing afternoon? New one on me!

  44. 56beverley says:

    Got to 17 minutes. Can't listen to this voice anymore.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *