Tax Facts – National Insurance Numbers and your Personal Tax Account

This short video covers two important things
you need to know about when you start work. They’re your National Insurance number and
your Personal Tax Account. Let’s look at your National Insurance number
first. Your National Insurance number is sent to
you automatically just before your sixteenth birthday in a letter from us – we’re HM
Revenue & Customs or HMRC for short. Have you received yours yet? If you haven’t, don’t worry. There’s
information on how to find your National Insurance number on the GOV.UK website. The number isn’t proof of your identity
but it’s unique to you – and it stays the same throughout your life. If you’re wondering what it looks like,
it’s made up of letters and numbers, like this. Your National Insurance number is important
because it links to the National Insurance contributions you’ll make, from your pay,
when you start work. That could be full-time work, it could be a Saturday job, a holiday
job or perhaps an apprenticeship. These contributions entitle you to certain
benefits, including (in a few decades’ time) your pension. You’ll also need it when you use some important
government services – for example, applying to the DVLA for a provisional driving licence. There are other organisations that will need
to know what your number is. One of these is your employer, who will use
it to make sure your National Insurance contributions and tax are recorded correctly. And the Student Loan Company if, in the future,
you apply for a student loan. You’ll also be asked to provide your National
Insurance number if you use the online ‘Register to Vote’ service. And if you open an ISA savings account, it’s
one of the pieces of information you’ll need to give to the Individual Savings Account
provider. And, of course, you’ll need it when you
contact HMRC and the Department for Work and Pensions – for your tax, and any benefits
you might claim in the future. When you start work, you’ll be able to find
your National Insurance number on your payslip, your online tax account (we’ll tell you
more about that in a moment), or on a form P45 or P60 from your employer. What’s important is that you share your
number only with organisations that have an official reason to see it. The second thing you need to know about is
your Personal Tax Account This is a secure, online record of your tax
and National Insurance payments that you can access from your mobile phone, tablet or computer,
whenever you need it. You might be thinking that it’s not relevant
to you at the moment. But once you’ve started work you’ll be able to use your account
to monitor your tax payments and refunds, and to tell HMRC about any changes to your
personal details, such as your home or email address. Just search for ‘Personal Tax Account’
on the GOV.UK website and follow the simple, online instructions. The very first time you access your account,
you’ll need to provide us with a few bits of information, so that we know it’s you. One of those is your National Insurance number. You’ll also need: a phone, so we can send you a security
code if you’re in paid work, a payslip, so
we can check a few details from it and if you’re not working now, but you’ve
done paid work in the past, you’ll need to have your passport handy, to help us identify
you. Unfortunately, if you’ve never worked, we
may not have enough information to be able to identify you. But as soon as you start
your first job, you’ll be able to sign-in and get into your tax account anytime you
want. If you’d like to know more, go to the GOV.UK
website. Thank you for listening.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *